Friday, January 11, 2008

A Riposte to Gov. Huckabee

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has been tossing around the line that people want their president to remind them of the guy they work with, not the guy who laid them off, clearly a shot at former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, behind whom I have thrown my feather's weight of support. This is a fairly clever line from a pretty clever guy, but, like much of what Governor Huckabee says, it doesn't bear up under close scrutiny. The necessary implication of this statement is that the American people want a president who is like their buddies, as opposed to the guy who is willing and able to make the tough, costly, but necessary decisions for the good of the country. Thus, by Governor Huckabee's own admission, he aspires to be your buddy, while Governor Romney is willing to make the tough choices that any president invariably faces and accept the consequences of those choices.

Well, Governor Huckabee, I'd love for you and me to be buddies. You seem like a good, upright, God-fearing man with a winning personality whose friendship I would greatly enjoy. I'm just not voting for you for President of the United States because I don't want a president who puts being friendly over the good of the country.

No comments: